Scouts’ Oath Logo

I created the logo for scouts oath during a weekend in the end of production. It was a short, but sweet experience where I got a lot of creative freedom. I’m going to break down the steps of my process:

1. QUESTIONS
I started out by creating questions that I wanted the logo to answer:
-what is the theme/setting?
The scouts’ loved headquarters is on fire.
-what is the unique mechanics?
To make your scared friends feel safe again, the player has to take their hand. This is the most important unique mechanic since it is enhancing the feeling of friendship.
-what is the feeling in the game?
The art style is whimsical, cute and has a stylized storybook feel to it. But the game is still a bit scary, and the threatening fire is consuming the tree house.

2. RESEARCH
I then started to search some keywords: hand holding, scouts, scout badges, cookies, fire wisps, tree house, friendship, headquarters. To see how other people interpreted them. This also gave me a feeling of what symbols was impactful.

3. SKETCHING
I put on some some music and started to draw some quick designs. I found the flame silhouette strong and clear, so I tried to iterate from that. I also found that the hand holding conveyed the right feeling. Here’s an example of some sketches that I did:

4. PHOTOSHOP
With the sketches I knew where to begin. I created all the logos from the sketches and iterated on them. Tried to make the silhouettes sharper looking and balanced.

It was also time to play with color. The fire in our game was not finalized yet, but we knew we wanted a warm pink, coral or orange. I also started to put some textures in. I wanted to use water color since it acts like fire – it’s hard to control and makes very organic pattern. I liked the result, mainly because the water color texture added a natural variation in the colors and this made the logo less flat. Here’s some examples of the Photoshop versions:

5. FEEDBACK

I showed this to my group and they gave their thoughts on the design. Everyone seemed to enjoy the concepts. And most of my team mates liked logo 2 or 6. I liked all of the parts in number 6 – the holding hands, the tree, the fire – but it didn’t feel polished enough. The hands felt forced in and when comparing it to the clean design of number 2, I knew I had to kill my baby – the holding hands. If we had more time for iterations and support from mentors, I think we could have made it work. But we were in the end of production and could not waste any time on the logo. So I made some final tweaking of logo 2 – font kerning, making sure the resolution was high, making the edges feel sharp, balancing the flames on right and left side).

I’m happy with the result and realize that after all iterations – the final result was the simplest one. Here it is: